With new, larger 116 meter and 120 meter rotors, the V116-2.0 MW and V120-2.0 MW offer industry-leading levelised cost of energy at park level in medium, low, and ultra-low wind conditions globally, though particularly well-suited for the U.S., India and China.
The new variants build on Vestas’ 2 MW platform, delivering increased swept area and annual energy production while keeping the existing 2 MW nacelle and hub design. Through the 2 MW platform’s tried and tested design foundation, the V116-2.0 MW and V120-2.0 MW thus employ proven technology to improve power production.
Designed to deliver even more stable energy production, the new turbines offer a steeper power curve, delivering higher power output in medium, low, and ultra-low wind conditions. Based on structural shell technology and advanced balance of loads, the new blades, 57 meter and 59 meter respectively, optimise aerodynamics while maintaining the original nacelle and hub dimensions and low-weight profile.
“By building on the tried and tested technology of the most widely applied platform in the wind energy industry, we leverage our unique product knowledge, well-established global supply base and logistics insights to deliver two new, yet proven, turbines that offer industry-leading levelised cost of energy at park level. With the V116-2.0 MW and V120-2.0 MW we have increased the 2 MW platform’s annual energy production by 40 percent since it was launched, underlining our ability to lead the way within cost of energy reductions”, says Anders Vedel, Executive Vice President & CTO.
First deliveries of the new turbine variants are expected in the first quarter of 2018 for the V116-2.0 MW and in the third quarter of 2018 for the V120-2.0 MW.
With more than 18,000 turbines installed across 45 countries on six continents, Vestas’ 2 MW platform is the most widely applied turbine solution in the history of wind energy. The new upgrade is the fifth major upgrade since Vestas introduced the 2 MW platform in 2000, yielding a combined 40 percent increase in Annual Energy Production.
- Vestas has 16 years of operational data from more than 3,000 turbine sites with 2 MW platform turbines – operating with a fleet-wide Lost Production Factor below two percent.
- The 116m and 120m rotors provides higher power production at partial load wind speeds. The 2 MW platform now includes five rotor variants to cover high, medium, low, and with the new upgrade also ultra-low wind conditions.
- The V116-2.0 MW and V120-2.0 MW benefit from the design prioritisation of larger rotors over higher rating to deliver more stable energy production and a higher power output at lower wind speeds. This ultimately means a higher certainty in power performance and lower park level levelised cost of energy.
- Vestas’ V116-2.0 MW strengthens performance in medium- and low-wind conditions (IEC IIB).
- On the V116-2.0 MW, the new blades increase the swept area by 11 percent, realising AEP improvements of up to four percent compared to the V110-2.0 MW.
- Albeit globally applicable, V116-2.0 MW is a perfect match for North American wind conditions.
- The V120-2.0 MW expands the 2 MW platform into ultra-low wind conditions (IEC IIIB/S) and is particularly suitable for maximising energy generation in the stable low-wind low-turbulence profile of India.
- With the largest swept area of the 2 MW platform, the V120-2.0 MW increases swept area by 19 percent and realises up to seven percent increased AEP performance compared to the V110-2.0 MW.
Vestas is the energy industry’s global partner on wind power solutions. We design, manufacture, install, and service wind turbines across the globe, and with more than 82 GW of wind turbines in 76 countries, we have installed more wind power than anyone else. Through our industry-leading smart data capabilities and unparalleled 71 GW of wind turbines under service, we use data to interpret, forecast, and exploit wind resources and deliver best-in-class wind power solutions. Together with our customers, Vestas’ more than 21,800 employees are bringing the world sustainable energy solutions to power a bright future.