The market for high-voltage submarine cables is a small and highly specialized industry that will experience strong growth over the next several years.
Demand for submarine cables is growing steadily as national governments and regional organizations pledge their efforts to expanding offshore renewable power generation, linking remote land masses, and interconnecting their national grids. These projects often involve subsea connections or power generation that is found in offshore wind farms. As cable technology advances, more projects are proposed that require longer, deeper, and higher-capacity cables.
Even the most conservative growth models show that the industry will expand rapidly, but Pike Research’s analysis finds that the supply chain will not be capable of meeting the full demand in this growing market. While there are very few companies that are capable of performing each step in the installation process, from surveying to final installation, the tightest bottleneck in this already constrained supply chain is the cable manufacturers. Only a handful of companies are capable of building the complex cables that are required by this market. In order to meet the demands of proposed projects, cable manufacturers will need to increase their production significantly. While some projects will likely encounter delays due to the limited supply chain, additional market players and increased capacity by existing suppliers will help the industry begin to catch up to this ever-growing demand.
This Pike Research report provides a comprehensive analysis of the worldwide market opportunity for submarine HVDC and HVAC power cable projects, including an assessment of demand drivers and supply chain dynamics, both currently and in the years ahead. The study features in-depth profiles of more than 25 key industry players and case studies of more than 30 notable high-voltage submarine cable projects. Market forecasts are provided for submarine cable projects through 2021, segmented by world region and including three different growth scenarios.
Key Questions Addressed:
- What are the most common uses for high-voltage submarine power cables?
- Does the current supply chain for submarine power cables have the capacity to meet the demand for future projects?
- Which geographic regions will experience the greatest demand for submarine power cables and what types of projects will they undertake?
- Which geographic areas have the highest capability to supply submarine power cables?
- What drives the demand for submarine power cable projects?
- What types of submarine cable technology will be the most prevalent in future projects?
- At what rate will the submarine power cable industry grow?
- Who are the key players in the submarine power cable market?
- What proposed projects will challenge the demand for submarine power cables?
- How many high-voltage submarine cables will be installed between 2012 and 2020?
- What are the notable upcoming projects in the submarine cable market?
Who needs this report?
- Suppliers of submarine power cables
- Suppliers of power cable components
- Submarine power cable installers
- Utility companies considering the use of submarine power cables to expand their existing electrical grids
- Transmission system operators (TSOs)
- Wind farm operators
- Offshore industries interested in linking their operations to the onshore grid
- Renewable energy operators
- Energy grid operators
- Investor community