At www.GoElectricDrive.com, consumers can calculate savings, find incentives, learn about topics ranging from batteries and vehicle charging to environmental benefits, watch informational videos and view some of the new plug-in electric vehicles available or coming soon to auto showrooms in the U.S.
“Southern California’s expected to be one of the first and potentially one of the largest markets for plug-in electric vehicles in the country,” said Pedro Pizarro, executive vice president, Power Operations. “SCE is committed to assisting customers as they select a plug-in electric vehicle. It’s important to understand the process of getting ready, from selecting a rate and charging options to understanding what individual households need to do to get plug-in ready.”
At www.sce.com/pev, SCE customers can find the utility’s online “Plug-In Car Rate Assistant.” It helps estimate the cost of fueling an electric vehicle and the impact on a customer’s electricity bill.
After providing facts such as location, daily power usage, vehicle type (such as a plug-in hybrid electric vehicle or battery-electric vehicle), mileage and time of day use (on- or off-peak), the plug-in car rate assistant will provide an estimated comparison of the average monthly electricity and gasoline bills.
The website also offers a host of valuable resources for customers to consider before purchasing an electric vehicle. They can go to www.sce.com/pev and take the following important steps:
Complete SCE’s Getting Plug-In Ready Checklist
* Review vehicle charging options and recommendations.
* Become familiar with SCE’s electric vehicle rate options and charging implications.
* Hire an electrical contractor to evaluate current residential charging capabilities and to provide an estimate for any electrical work needed to make the home plug-in ready.
Contact SCE to Select an Electric Vehicle Rate
* Discuss vehicle choice and charging preferences, and explore electric vehicle rate options by calling an SCE representative at 1-800-4EV-INFO, or 1-800-438-4636. SCE customers have three rate options to choose from. They can keep their standard residential rate, switch to a single time-of-use rate for the entire house, or add a second meter to track the electric vehicle energy usage.
Perform any Necessary Home Equipment Upgrades
* Authorize an electrical contractor to obtain required permits and complete desired electrical work.
* Obtain any required city electrical inspections.
SCE’s new plug-in car rate assistant is part of the company’s ongoing electric vehicle readiness effort focused on educating customers.
An Edison International (NYSE:EIX) company, Southern California Edison is one of the nation’s largest electric utilities, serving a population of nearly 14 million via 4.9 million customer accounts in a 50,000-square-mile service area within Central, Coastal and Southern California.