The commercial buildings market is currently the largest source of revenue for stationary energy storage companies, primarily thanks to a robust uninterruptible power supply (UPS) industry, which requires an energy storage component.
That segment alone is estimated to generate $3.7 billion in global sales in 2013. In addition, there is a relatively healthy market for thermal energy systems, which use thermal mass (either ice or ceramic bricks) to store energy for later use in climate control in a building.
That market is estimated by Pike Research to be worth $89.6 million in 2013. Finally, an emerging segment of electrical energy storage systems is beginning to be established in some parts of the world.
The future growth of energy storage systems for commercial buildings is heavily dependent on the local regulatory environment, both from the perspective of the electric utility’s rate structure and government incentives for energy storage systems. In regions where energy storage is incentivized through utility rebates, time-of-use rates with high differentials, or government mandates, growth is expected to be much higher. Pike Research forecasts the market for commercial building energy systems to grow from $3.9 billion in revenue in 2013 to more than $7.5 billion in 2022.
his Pike Research report analyzes the global market opportunity for commercial building energy storage across all three key segments: UPS energy storage systems, electrical energy storage systems, and thermal energy storage systems. The report provides a comprehensive assessment of the demand drivers, business models, policy factors, and technology issues associated with the dynamic commercial building energy storage space. Key industry players are profiled in depth and worldwide revenue and capacity forecasts, segmented by application and region, extend through 2022.
Key Questions Addressed:
- How will the segments within the commercial building energy storage market grow over the next 10 years?
- What are the primary drivers and obstacles that will influence the growth in commercial building energy storage systems?
- Who are the main players in the commercial building energy storage market, and how well-positioned are they to compete?
- How will declining cost curves in battery technology affect the emerging space of electrical energy storage systems?
- What impact will a changing regulatory environment have on the market for commercial building energy storage systems?