The countries in Latin America have an excellent sun resource, though in many cases less than ideal topographies for solar installations.
The countries of the region do not generally offer the robust incentives available in other regions; however, individual countries are now exploring the use of solar and there are several large projects underway (which may mean pursuing financing) in the region.
As the market in Europe wanes, the focus by the solar power industry on the countries in Latin America has increased dramatically.
Thus far, announcements have far outpaced implementation in most countries. Utilities in the region have announced ambitious plans for new solar projects, but many of the announcements lack government and/or environmental approval.
For example, in 2012, construction had begun on only 4% of the announced 4-GWp of PV projects. Navigant forecasts that under a conservative scenario, regional demand growth in Latin America will surpass 750 megawatts (MW) of power by 2014. In a more aggressive scenario, that figure could surpass 840 MW.
This report provides an overview of regional demand growth for Latin America from 2011 through 2014. The report details three different forecast scenarios: reduced incentives, conservative, and accelerated. Five industry application segments – remote industrial; remote habitation; consumer power; grid-connected residential, commercial, and utility; and consumer indoor – are examined in depth, and regulatory and macroeconomic factors influencing the outlook for solar demand are analyzed for the major countries of the region. The report also includes forecasts for the market share for each major application segment through 2021.
Key Questions Addressed:
- What are the growth prospects for solar PV in Latin America over the next several years?
- What are the primary metrics for the Latin American solar PV industry?
- What factors affect solar PV pricing in the region?
- What are the leading short-term indicators for the solar power industry in Latin America?
- What are the major trends for solar technology production, capacity, and shipments in Latin America?
- What are the major trends and developments in Latin America that vendors, installers, and policymakers should be aware of?
- What are the macroeconomic and policy/regulatory factors influencing the solar PV market in Latin America over the next several years?