Governments and industries in the Asia Pacific region find themselves struggling to keep pace with new trends in global clean energy development.
Due to the diverse applications and benefits of energy storage systems (ESS), most Asia Pacific nations have begun to pay attention to deployments of these systems.
Although demand for ESS varies on a market-by-market basis and each nation in Asia Pacific is at a different level of resource development, as renewable energy capacity and electricity consumption rise, the number of ESS projects deployed in Asia Pacific will climb as well.
Japan, Australia, and South Korea are driving the adoption of ESS to enhance the overall system efficiency of the grid, improve the management of existing assets, and maintain a more efficient balance between load and generation on the grid. Meanwhile, the government and market stakeholders in China are entering the stage of sophisticated R&D analysis for bulk storage-level system designs for ESS. Falling costs and increased efficiency through technology innovation will likely play an important role in opening up ESS markets in developing nations such as India. Nevertheless, the ESS market is still in the technical demonstration phase in most countries of Asia Pacific. Pike Research forecasts that cumulative installed capacity of ESS in the region will surpass 25,082 megawatts (MW) by 2022, with nearly 6,400 MW of capacity added that year. Pike Research forecasts that the market value for this capacity will be more than $12 billion in 2022.
This Pike Research report explores the market opportunity and current market issues for ESS, focusing on advanced batteries in Asia Pacific. The study includes an assessment of the technical characteristics of advanced battery technologies such as lithium ion, sodium sulfur, advanced lead-acid, sodium metal halide, and advanced flow batteries. Key industry players are profiled and global market forecasts for installed capacity and revenue for utility scale applications in Asia Pacific, segmented by country, are provided through 2022.
Key Questions Addressed:
- What are the critical industry issues facing the energy storage sector in Asia Pacific?
- What are the key countries for ESS going forward and what are the key drivers, barriers, and opportunities for ESS in Asia Pacific?
- What are the demand differences for ESS among key nations in Asia Pacific?
- What are the leading applications and end-use markets for ESS?
- What are the characteristics of policy and regulatory environments for ESS?
- Who are the leading market players and how will they form their future endeavors for ESS?
- How fast will the market grow and what are the key demand drivers?
- How large will the market be, in terms of MW and revenue, for utility scale applications of ESS in 2022?