“The Van Wert County Historical Society certainly appreciates the interest that Dan and Iberdrola Renewables have taken in preserving the history of Van Wert County”
The Van Wert County Historical Society received a donation of $10,000 from Iberdrola Renewables, which is being used in part to replace the shake shingles on the historic Clark Mansion. Also known as the House of Seven Oaks, the Clark Mansion is used as a museum for the entire community to enjoy.
“Clark Mansion is a beautiful and beloved building in Van Wert,” said Dan Litchfield, business developer for Iberdrola Renewables. “We’re proud to be a part of the community and its efforts to restore such a treasured piece of local history.”
Iberdrola Renewables also donated $5,000 to the nearby John Paulding Historical Society, which will use the funds to install historic markers by ghost towns near the Blue Creek project area.
“The Van Wert County Historical Society certainly appreciates the interest that Dan and Iberdrola Renewables have taken in preserving the history of Van Wert County,” said past President Joe Steffan. “Several years ago the trustees restored a 19th century windmill and erected it on the west side of our Red Barn. The inventive American farmer used the wind to supply energy to pump the water for his livestock and family. Windmills dotted the landscape throughout Van Wert County but slowly disappeared. In the 21st century, wind power is being used again to supply energy, and wind turbines will be reappearing in the county. If one ever doubts the genius of the American farmer, he or she should visit the Red Barn at the museum.”
Scholarship Fund for Van Wert County Foundation
In an exciting partnership, the Van Wert County Foundation has established the Iberdrola Renewables Scholarship Fund. With a donation of $30,000 from Iberdrola Renewables, the scholarships are designed to support local students who choose to study renewable energy and attend a school within the University System of Ohio. Residents of every township where Iberdrola Renewables is currently building, Blue Creek, or developing, Dog Creek and Prairie Creek, are eligible. Students interested in the Iberdrola Renewables Scholarship Fund should contact the Van Wert County Foundation for more information.
In addition to these initiatives, Iberdrola Renewables is thrilled to be supporting terrific local organizations like the Van Wert Peony Pageant, Paulding Baseball, Van Wert 911 Operations, Van Wert Junior Achievement, and the Van Wert County Junior Fair Board.
Progress for Blue Creek Wind Power Project
Construction for Blue Creek Wind Power Project, which spans townships in both Van Wert and Paulding Counties, is ahead of schedule. When complete, the wind farm will provide 304 MW of clean, homegrown energy to power approximately 76,000 homes annually.
Expected to be completed within the year, the Blue Creek Wind Power Project also brings approximately $1.1 million in annual lease payments to local landowners, $2.7 million in annual local taxes, 15 to 20 new permanent jobs, over 300 construction jobs, and local purchase of some supplies and construction materials. In fact, many of the subcontractors and suppliers currently constructing the wind farm are from Ohio, including:
* Continental Secret Service from Toledo, Ohio – Project site security
* Deitering Landscaping Insurance from Leipsic, Ohio – Erosion control and seeding
* Gattshall Excavating and Trucking from Van Wert, Ohio – Onsite equipment and material trucking
* Hite Concrete Pumping from Neapolis, Ohio – Concrete conveying for foundation construction
* J&B Steel Erectors from Hamilton, Ohio – Rebar Installation for foundation
* Jones Farm Drainage from Van Wert, Ohio – Drain tile installation and repair
* Professional Service Industries from Lima, Ohio – Construction materials testing
* Sekel Management Group from Van Wert, Ohio – Drain tile installation and repair
* Stoneco from Convoy, Ohio – Aggregate supply for roads, WTG sites, stream crossing, and ready mix
* The Shelly Company from Findlay, Ohio – Bituminous paving for county/township road improvement and repair
* True Vine Tree Trimming from Grover Hill, Ohio – Clearing and grubbing
* Wortman Bros. LLC from Van Wert, Ohio – O&M building contractor
* All Purpose Contracting from Delphos, Ohio – Site prep subcontractor
* Mobile Mini, Inc. from Cincinnati, Ohio – Construction office trailer rental
* Paulding Putnam Electric Cooperative, Inc. from Paulding, Ohio – Temporary construction power
* Jerandan Portable Toilets from Van Wert, Ohio – Equipment rentals
* Kirby Risk from Lima, Ohio – Local electrical supplier
* Fastenal from Van Wert, Ohio – Hardware material
Iberdrola Renewables, Inc. is headquartered in Portland, Ore., with more than 850 employees. It is part of the Iberdrola Renovables global group, the world’s leading provider of wind power with more than 11,000 MW of renewable energy installed around the world, and more than 4,300 MW of that wind energy located in the U.S.