Wind power Goldwind restarts IPO in Hong Kong

Xinjiang Goldwind, China’s leading wind energy maker listed in Shenzhen stock exchange, restarted the initial public offering in Hong Kong Monday, seeking to raise up to $916 million, after an aborted plan in June this year.

In a statement filed to the Hong Kong stock exchange in the day, Goldwind said it would sell 395.29 million new H shares. Of them, some 39.53 million shares — or 10 percent of the total new H shares — would go to public offering in Hong Kong, while the other 90 percent would go to international offering.

Goldwind has set a price range of HK$15.98 ($2.06) to HK$17.98 for the new H shares. The IPO has an over-allotment option of 15 percent of the IPO shares, namely 59. 29 million shares.

Goldwind shares are expected to debut on the Hong Kong stock market on October 8, according to the statement. The company said it would spend the IPO proceeds on building more production bases and expanding overseas.

China International Capital Corp, J.P. Morgan, Citigroup, Goldman Sachs and Haitong Group are joint book runners and joint lead managers.

Xinjiang Goldwind had originally aimed to launch its IPO in June this year, which was halted "in light of the deterioration in wind farm market conditions and recent unexpected and excessive market volatility".

Goldwind, headquartered in Urumqi, capital city of Xinjiang Uygur autonomous region, was set up in 1998. Its main business includes production and sale of complete wind turbines and components, technology transfer and application, technical consultancy in the manufacture of wind turbines, construction and operation of wind farms.

Goldwind had bought a production license in 1997 to manufacture 600-kW wind turbines from German Jacobs Energie GmbH, now part of global wind turbine manufacturer REpower Systems AG. In 2001, it signed another license agreement with REpower to manufacture 750-kW wind turbines.

In December 2007, Goldwind became the first renewable and wind energy company in China’s mainland to launch an initial public offering at the Shenzhen Stock Exchange and raised 1.75 billion yuan ($261 million) by selling 10 percent of its expanded share capital.

By the end of 2009, Goldwind cumulatively installed over 5,500 units of wind turbines. In 2009, Goldwind was ranked the fifth largest wind turbine manufacturer globally in terms of newly installed capacity.

The company’s major products include 600-kW, 750-kW, 1.2-MW, 1. 5-MW and 2.5-MW series wind turbiness. Goldwind has expanded on its aim to develop a 5 MW wind turbine and is developing a 6 MW permanent magnetic direct-drive wind turbine.

Goldwind’s main competitors in the Chinese mainland are Sinovel Wind Co Ltd and Dongfang Steam Turbine Works.