After SCE customers provide facts such as location, daily power usage, vehicle type (such as a plug-in hybrid electric vehicle or battery-electric vehicle), mileage, and time of day use (on- or off-peak), the plug-in car rate assistant will provide an estimated comparison of the average monthly electricity and gasoline bills.
Steve Powell, SCE’s manager of Plug-in Electric Vehicle Readiness, said, "The online car rate assistant will provide an idea of the bill impacts and the benefits of charging electric vehicles during off-peak hours, 9 p.m. to noon. It’s important for customers to understand the advantages of the various rate plans," Powell said.
SCE’s plug-in electric vehicle website also features the first of three educational videos listing the steps necessary to become plug-in ready. Upcoming videos will include questions customers should ask when thinking about buying an electric vehicle and a description of SCE’s efforts now underway to meet the coming of plug-in electric vehicles.
The website provides a host of valuable resources for customers to consider before purchasing an electric vehicle. Once customers know the type of electric vehicle they want to purchase, visit www.sce.com/pev and take these three important steps:
Complete SCE’s "Getting Plug-In Ready Checklist"
* Review vehicle charging options and recommendations.
* Become familiar with SCE’s electric vehicle rate options and charging implications.
* Engage an electrical contractor to evaluate current residential charging capabilities and to provide an estimate for any electrical work to make the home plug-in ready.
Contact SCE to Select an Electric Vehicle Rate
* Discuss vehicle choice and charging preferences, and explore electric vehicle rate options by calling an SCE representative at 1 (800) 4EV-INFO, or 1 (800) 438-4636. SCE customers have three rate options to choose from. They can keep their standard residential rate, switch to a single time-of-use rate for the entire house, or add a second meter to track the electric vehicle energy usage on a separate rate.
Perform any Necessary Home Equipment Upgrades
* Authorize an electrical contractor to obtain required permits and complete desired electrical work.
* Obtain any required city electrical inspections.
SCE’s new plug-in car rate assistant and educational videos are part of the company’s ongoing electric vehicle readiness effort focused on impacts to the utility’s infrastructure and education of customers.