Key features of olivine-type lithium iron phosphate cell include high power output, long-life performance and excellent thermal stability. Sample shipments of the new module are scheduled to begin from June, 2010.
The newly-developed module is an energy storage module with 1.2kWh-class capacity. Multiple modules can be connected either in series or in parallel to easily expand to a higher voltage or capacity. Furthermore, the new module is compatible with stationary power supplies such as UPS (uninterruptible power supply) for data servers or as a backup power supply for mobile phone wireless base stations.
In recent years, there has been an increasing demand for lithium-ion rechargeable batteries, which boast superior energy efficiency, higher power density and excellent storage characteristics, as substitutes for batteries made from lead or nickel-cadmium.
Until now, lead-acid and nickel-cadmium batteries have conventionally been used in the stationary power supply market for data server UPSs (uninterruptible power supplies) or as backup power supplies for mobile phone wireless base stations.
Additionally, new applications of lithium-ion rechargeable batteries – such as energy storage systems for efficient energy use and load-leveling – continue to be developed as the installation of new energy generating systems like household photovoltaic systems progresses as part of environmental measures to reduce CO2 emissions.
Sony will bring to market a safe, long-life performance energy storage module using olivine-type lithium iron phosphate cell, which are characterized by their high-power output, long-life performance and excellent thermal stability.
This energy storage module will be on display at the China International Battery Fair 2010 (held from June 24 to 26, 2010) in Shenzhen.
Main features of the energy storage module
1. ‘High expandability’ Multiple modules can easily be connected either in series or in parallel, enabling both the voltage and capacity to be customized to suit various applications
2. ‘High performance safety’ In addition to the use of olivine-type lithium iron phosphate cell, which boast excellent thermal stability and storage characteristics, the storage module also contains a built-in self-monitoring function to detect any abnormalities within the module itself
3. ‘Low environmental impact’ The long-lasting module can be used repeatedly whilst maintaining a reduced environmental impact
Details of main features of the energy storage module
1. Variables such as the voltage and capacity can be customized for different applications by connecting multiple modules either in series or in parallel. Each module is compatible with a high power output maximum of up to 2.5kW, and can be used for various stationary power supplies such as UPS (uninterruptible power supply) for data servers or as a backup power supply for mobile phone wireless base stations.
‘High performance safety’
2. Built-in self monitoring function for detecting any abnormalities within the energy storage module.
3. Internal battery usage can be controlled safely by monitoring the state (voltage, current, temperature) of the internal batteries and communicating this to a linked external battery management system.
4. Another feature derived from the excellent thermal stability provided by olivine-type lithium iron phosphate cell is that the batteries should resist irregular heat generation, even in the event of a battery abnormality occurring for any given reason.
‘Low environmental impact’
5. In comparison to lead-acid batteries, lithium-ion batteries have minimal energy loss when discharging the stored electrical energy. In other words, the charge and discharge of lithium-ion batteries is highly efficient, and demonstrative of the benefits of low energy consumption.
6. Longer-life performance (anticipated longevity of 10 years or more*) * Estimated useful life with one charge-discharge cycle per day.
7. Iron (lithium iron phosphate), which is said to be available in abundance, is used as the electrode material. This enables reduced environmental impact in comparison to lithium-ion rechargeable batteries that use rare metals with extremely limited reserves and that are in low supply.
8. No regular maintenance required such as rehydration, which is needed for some lead batteries.
9. Compatible with 19-inch (2U) size for mounting on standard computer server racks.
Sample specifications of the energy storage module
Nominal voltage: 51.2V
Maximum output: 2.5kW
Dimensions: 431 x 420 x 79mm (not including fixtures)
Weight: approx. 17kg
Sony Corporation is a leading manufacturer of audio, video, game, communications, key device and information technology products for the consumer and professional markets. With its music, pictures, computer entertainment and on-line businesses, Sony is uniquely positioned to be the leading electronics and entertainment company in the world. Sony recorded consolidated annual sales of approximately $79 billion for the fiscal year ended March 31, 2009.