The first-quarter wind turbines order intake was 1,258 MW, and the value of the backlog of firm and unconditional orders amounted to EUR 2.9bn at 31 March 2010.
From 31 March to 27 April 2010, Vestas’ announced wind energy order intake amounted to 2,014 MW inclusive of the firm and unconditional order of 1,500 MW from EDP Renováveis. Safety at Vestas’ work places improved further, and renewable energy accounted for 43 per cent of Vestas’ total energy consumption in the quarter.
The forecast for 2010 is retained; an intake of firm and unconditional orders for 8,000-9,000 MW, an EBIT margin of 10-11 per cent, a net working capital of 15 per cent and revenue of EUR 7bn.
Based on the order intake and market momentum, Vestas will now be launching full staffing in the USA, which contributes to Vestas expecting to employ a total of 3,400 employees in 2010.
Furthermore, Vestas will also invest funds in a service and maintenance centre in Colorado, USA, and combined with the sales release of the V112-3.0 MW turbine for both onshore and offshore at the end of August, this represents a EUR 400m increase for the 2010 investment programme to EUR 1.0bn.
Q1 2010 at a glance (against Q1 2009)
– 64% Vestas shipped a total of 178 wind turbines
– a decrease of 64 per cent
– 56% Vestas shipped wind power systems with an aggregate capacity of 387 MW
– a decrease of 56 per cent
– 32% Vestas generated revenue of EUR 755m
– a decrease of 32 per cent
– EUR 172m EBIT amounted to EUR (96)m
– a decrease of EUR 172m
– EUR 138m Profit after tax amounted to EUR (82)m
– a decrease of EUR 138m
– 3% The number of employees fell to 20,693
– a decrease of 3 per cent Randers, 28 April 2010 Interim financial report, first quarter 2010 Company announcement No. 21/2010 Page 2 of 30 Vestas Wind Systems A/S
– 66% Industrial injuries per one million working hours was reduced to 4.4
– a reduction of 66 per cent
+ 4 % points The share of renewable energy increased to 43 per cent
– an increase of 4 percentage points
The Group’s financial performance in Q1 2010 Q1 20101) Q1 20091) Full year 2009
Revenue (mEUR) 755 1,105 6,636
EBIT (mEUR) (96) 76 856
EBIT margin (%) (12.7) 6.9 12.9
Profit after tax (mEUR) (82) 56 579
Net working capital (% of revenue) 21 8 19
Cash flow from operating activities (mEUR) (398) (195) (34)