- IBERDROLA to supply electricity to total of 3,091 offices and 71 buildings belonging to financial institution
- IBERDROLA is to meet all BBVA’s electricity needs in Spain in the years 2015 and 2016, amounting to 240 GWh per year
- By signing this contract, BBVA will be avoiding some 180,000 tonnes of CO2 emissions each year, a figure that is equivalent to the annual emissions produced by 75,000 vehicles or by a city with 50,000 inhabitants, or to planting about 4.5 million trees
IBERDROLA has been awarded the contract to supply electricity to the entire network of BBVA offices and buildings in 2015 and 2016. The total combined consumption for these premises amounts to 240 gigawatt hours (GWh).
The company is at the forefront of the Spanish renewable energies sector in terms of installed capacity, with over 6,100 megawatts (MW). It has also entered a commitment with BBVA that 100% of the energy supplied will be from renewable sources.
In this regard, IBERDROLA plans to supply the electricity to BBVA in compliance with the requirements laid down in the Spanish Ministry of Industry, Tourism and Trade’s Order ITC/1522/2007, of 24 May, which provides the regulations for guaranteeing the origin of electricity obtained from renewable energy sources and high-efficiency cogeneration.
Under the terms of the agreement, IBERDROLA will be in charge of supplying electricity to a total of 3,091 offices and 71 buildings belonging to the financial institution, including its new corporate headquarters (La Vela), on which construction work will be completed this year.
By signing this contract, BBVA will be avoiding the annual emission of some 180,000 tonnes of CO2. This figure is equivalent, for example, to the annual emissions produced by 75,000 vehicles or a typical Spanish city with 50,000 inhabitants, or to planting about 4.5 million trees.
This means that BBVA will be giving a significant boost to its Global Eco-efficiency Plan, which includes a target for reducing emissions per employee during the 2013-2015 period. Thanks to this initiative, this target will be easily exceeded in the next few years.
In turn, IBERDROLA is ratifying its historical commitment to clean energies and more broadly, to sustainable development and combating climate change. Last year it was the recipient of various important acknowledgements in this field: inclusion in the Dow Jones Sustainability index for the fifteenth consecutive year, making it the only European electric utility to have been included in this index since its inception; in the FTSE4Good index for the fifth year in a row; and in the Climate Performance Leadership and Climate Disclosure Leadership sustainability indices, drawn up by the Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP).
IBERDROLA, commitment to customers and market
At the end of the third quarter of 2014, IBERDROLA had 15.2 million contracts in Spain with an associated energy supply of 68,128 GWh. Of these contracts, 71% (over 10.8 million) were in the free market. The remaining 29% (some 4.4 million) were in the regulated market.
The company has managed to achieve these high figures because of its retail strategy, which is geared towards adapting to its customers’ needs and always seeking to offer them the most suitable products and services, which are competitive not only in terms of price, but also in terms of service excellence.
For more information, please visit : http://www.iberdrola.es