Northern Power Systems Corp. (TSX: NPS), a next-generation renewable energy technology provider, is developing along with its Brazilian partner WEG (IBOVESPA: WEGE3) a new 3.3MW wind turbine. WEG is one of the world’s largest manufacturers of electrical equipment.
This new development effort will further complement WEG and Northern Power Systems’ existing portfolio of utility class wind turbines currently led by a 2MW-class on-shore turbine offering. The 3.3MW turbine development is part of an agreement between WEG and Tractebel Energia (IBOVESPA: TBLE3), a company of GDF Suez Group, under the Brazilian National Electrical Energy Agency (ANEEL) research and development program. WEG has a deep understanding of the unique needs of the Brazilian market, and, together with Northern Power, is designing the first turbine specifically designed and optimized to meet those market requirements. WEG plans to produce the new 3.3MW wind turbine in the southern Brazilian state of Santa Catarina and is expecting to leverage this turbine to provide clean, reliable power first in the growing South American wind market, and later expanding with Northern Power for global deployment.
“When our relationship began with WEG in 2013, we knew they had tremendous capabilities to supply wind power to the South American market. This additional platform will provide WEG a full portfolio of options for onshore wind,” said Troy Patton, Chief Executive Officer of Northern Power Systems. “We are excited to be working with WEG to develop this important technology for their rapidly growing pipeline of customer demand.”
“Northern Power has proven to be a strong technology partner for WEG as we expand our business in the growing wind energy generation market in Brazil,” said Joao Paulo Gualberto da Silva, WEG Wind Turbines Director. “We are expecting this technology to be an asset for our global expansion in the wind space, and look forward to partnering with Northern Power on global opportunities.”
About Northern Power Systems
Northern Power Systems designs, manufactures, and sells wind turbines, and provides engineering development services and technology licenses for energy applications, into the global marketplace from its US headquarters and European offices.
* Northern Power Systems has almost 40 years’ experience in technologies and products generating renewable energy.
* Northern Power Systems currently manufactures the NPS™ 60 and NPS™ 100 turbines. With over 5 million run time hours across its global fleet, Northern Power wind turbines provide customers with clean, cost effective, reliable renewable energy.
* Patented next generation permanent magnet/direct drive (PM/DD) technology uses fewer moving parts, delivers higher energy capture, and provides increased reliability due to reduced maintenance and downtime.
* Northern Power Systems offers comprehensive in-house development services, including systems level engineering, advanced drivetrains, power electronics, PM machine design, and remote monitoring systems to the energy industry.
* Some of the world’s largest manufacturers license the company’s next generation technology and IP for their utility and distributed wind products and markets.