Roth Rock wind farm is comprised of 20 2.5 MW wind turbines

Pepco Holdings, Inc. (NYSE:POM) announced that Delmarva Power will receive 40 megawatts (MW) of wind energy and associated renewable energy credits from the recently completed Roth Rock wind power facility in Western Maryland. The 50 MW land based wind farm is owned by Gestamp Wind North America, which held a ribbon-cutting ceremony Nov. 8, 2011.

High atop the mountains of Western Maryland, the Roth Rock Wind Farm provides Delmarva Power customers with clean renewable energy. (Photo: Rick Giammaria, Courtesy of Pepco Holdings, Inc.)

Delmarva Power signed a 20-year Power Purchase Agreement (PPA) with Roth Rock in 2008 as part of its renewable energy portfolio for meeting Delaware’s clean energy goals, which call for 25 percent of the company’s energy supply to come from clean sources by 2025.

“Our vision for this project began in 2007,” said Gary R. Stockbridge, Delmarva Power Region President. “A utility can make a difference in delivering clean, green energy. We support renewable standards and believe a long term plan is one of the best ways to achieve this goal.”

This agreement is part of Delmarva Power’s Integrated Resource Plan (IRP), which supports Delaware’s renewable energy standards.

“This is part of a robust, diverse portfolio that Delmarva Power has developed to meet the evolving energy needs of our customers,” said Todd Goodman, Associate General Counsel for PHI. “Utilizing renewable wind energy is one critical step toward achieving our clean energy goals.”

The Roth Rock wind farm is comprised of 20 2.5 MW wind turbines manufactured by Nordex. Delmarva Power will purchase 80 percent of Roth Rock’s output while the remaining 20 percent will be sold separately to the University System of Maryland, Maryland Department of General Services.

About PHI: Pepco Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: POM) is one of the largest energy delivery companies in the Mid-Atlantic region, serving about 1.9 million customers in Delaware, the District of Columbia, Maryland and New Jersey. PHI subsidiaries Pepco, Delmarva Power and Atlantic City Electric provide regulated electricity service; Delmarva Power also provides natural gas service. PHI also provides energy efficiency and renewable energy services through Pepco Energy Services.