On Friday afternoon Tesla Motors cofounder and CEO Elon Musk opened Tesla’s Tokyo store and delivered the first Roadster 2.5 in Japan to Toyota Motor Corporation President Akio Toyoda.
Mr. Toyoda’s Roadster is based on the first Roadster Mr. Toyoda ever drove, Elon’s Signature Twilight Red Roadster.
The hand-built, carbon fiber Roadster Sport 2.5 accelerates from 0-60 mph in 3.7 seconds without a drop of gasoline. Powered by a liquid-cooled lithium ion batteries pack, the Roadster delivers 295 lb-ft of instant torque and 288 horsepower. The Roadster can be plugged into any conventional outlet and can travel 244 miles on a full charge.
Mr. Toyoda’s Roadster 2.5 is an example of Tesla’s fourth iteration of its revolutionary Roadster.
Roadster 2.5 reflects Tesla’s commitment to electric vehicles, innovation and the company’s close feedback loop with its customers. The new Roadster includes improvements in both design and technology, including a new front fascia, rear diffuser, improved seat comfort & internal finishes, sound dampening and a large touch screen navigation system.
New features in Roadster 2.5 include:
* Owner’s choice of the driving side.
* A new look, which includes a new front fascia with diffusing vents, and rear diffuser reflecting the future of Tesla design
* Directional forged wheels available in both silver and black
* New seats with improved comfort, larger more supportive bolsters and a new lumbar support system
* Power control hardware that enables spirited driving in exceptionally hot climates
* An optional 7" touchscreen display with back-up camera
* Improved interior sound reduction including new front fender liner material make the cabin even quieter
Tesla’s website in Japanese is also now available (www.teslamotors.jp). The site is the first local language site, and allows for easy access to information for customers in Japan.
TESLA TOKYO AOYAMA SHOWROOM
2-23-8, Minami Aoyama, Minato-ku, Tokyo, Japan
11am -7pm from Monday to Friday
10am-6pm, Weekend and Holiday
Tesla’s goal is to produce increasingly affordable electric cars to mainstream buyers – relentlessly driving down the cost of electric vehicles. Palo Alto, California-based Tesla has delivered more than 1,300 Roadsters to customers in North America, Europe and Asia. Tesla designs, develops, manufactures and sells electric vehicles and EV powertrain components. The Tesla Roadster accelerates faster than most sports cars yet produces no emissions.