This nano-based breakthrough lithium technology is noted for its rapid charging capability of 90% charge in less than 5 minutes, long life of more than 10 years even at rapid charge rates, and excellent safety performance. The SCiB™ product line will be supported out of the Toshiba International Corporation headquarters in Houston, Texas and the SCiB™ team will focus on business development activities, battery pack design, prototyping, assembly, technical support, and service.
The SCiB™ battery technology offers numerous performance advantages that make it an ideal solution for many of today’s toughest energy storage challenges.
• Inherently Safe – Advanced Lithium Chemistry Based on Nano-Technology Prevents Thermal Runaway Even Under Extreme Physical Duress
• Fast Charge Rates – Capable of Full Recharge in < 10 Minutes, 90% in < 5 Minutes
• Superior life – Minimal Capacity Loss, Even After 6,000 Rapid Charge-Discharge Cycles
• Greater Usable Capacity – Up to 85% Usable Capacity Without Compromising Cycle Life
• High Output Performance – Equivalent Discharge Rates to those of Ultra-Capacitors
• Superb Low-Temperature Performance – Excels at Temperatures as Low as -30°C
• Proven Production – Produced on a State-of-the-Art Automated Production Line
SCiB™ cells comprising the battery packs will be supplied from Toshiba’s state-of-the-art automated production line in the Saku Factory located in Nagano, Japan. Initial market development activities in the US will focus on automotive HEV/PHEV/Electric Vehicles, industrial lift trucks, smart grid/grid storage, medical equipment, wind power and solar power, scooters, and UPS market segments.
Toshiba currently has two battery pack offerings commercially available, a 12 V, 4.2 Ah pack and a 24 V, 4.2 Ah pack. Both offerings are based on Toshiba’s 2.4 V, 4.2 Ah cells and include Toshiba’s proprietary battery management system, which ensures optimum performance and safety. Additional packs are under development.
Toshiba International Corporation, located in Houston, Texas, is a Toshiba America Inc. (TAI) Group Company, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Toshiba Corporation, and is a world leader in the design and sale of industrial product solutions. TIC has a proud tradition of quality, innovation, reliability, and a commitment to customer service. Our designs are manufactured from start to finish using only the highest quality domestic and foreign parts.